One of the earliest skills our children learn is their colors. As they get older, we move from basic color identification to identifying color words. Color words are often added to sight word lists or high frequency word lists as we frequently encounter them and want them to learn them quickly. This turkey feather color words activity is a fun, engaging way to learn color words.
*Pair this with our Thanksgiving Centers and Activities for Pre-K and Kindergarten.
Thanksgiving Color Words Activity
Using the Thanksgiving Color Words Activity
This activity is a fun, engaging way to practice identifying color words and is perfect for preschool and kindergarten students. This activity makes the perfect Thanksgiving literacy center. It is also great for morning work or fast finisher work.
Simply print and laminate the turkey and feathers and cut them out.
RELATED RESOURCE: Color Centers and Activities
How to Play
Place the colored turkey feathers around the turkey body.
Pick up a turkey feather and identify the color of the feather.
Find the matching color word on the turkey body and place the turkey feather on top of the color word.
Find the color word on the recording sheet and color the turkey in the correct color.
Continue until all feathers are matched.
To help with pieces moving around and to add an additional fine motor aspect to this center, add Velcro dots to the turkey body and feathers.
- Write the color words on each of the turkey feathers to practice spelling and writing the color words.
- Add colored balls of play dough on top of each color word on the turkey body and then match the turkey feathers (the paper ones or real craft feathers) to the play dough balls.
- Hang the feathers around the room. Walk around with the recording sheet, find a feather, and color in the correct turkey on the recording sheet.
Get Your Copy
Ready to practice identifying color words? Grab this fun turkey color words center by clicking the large, yellow button below.
Then hop on over to see our FREE Printable Thanksgiving Placemats to complete your Thanksgiving dinner table tablescape!
Latest posts by Heidi (see all)
- Number Word and Color Word Ice Cream Spelling Activity - May 24, 2019
- Rainbow CVC Word Puzzles - April 17, 2019
- Rainbow Addition Puzzles - March 22, 2019