This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
One of the earliest skills our children learn is their colors. As they get older, we move from basic color identification to identifying color words. Color words are often added to sight word lists or high frequency word lists as we frequently encounter them and want them to learn them quickly. This turkey feather color words activity is a fun, engaging way to learn color words during the season of Thanksgiving.
*Pair this with our Thanksgiving Centers and Activities for Pre-K and Kindergarten!
Thanksgiving Color Words Activity
This activity is a fun, engaging way to practice identifying color words and is perfect for preschool and kindergarten students. This activity makes the perfect Thanksgiving literacy center. It is also great for morning work or fast finisher work.
Simply print and laminate the turkey and feathers and cut them out.
RELATED RESOURCE: Color Centers and Activities
How to Play
Place the colored turkey feathers around the turkey body.
Pick up a turkey feather and identify the color of the feather.
Find the matching color word on the turkey body and place the turkey feather on top of the color word.
Find the color word on the recording sheet and color the turkey in the correct color.
Continue until all feathers are matched.
To help with pieces moving around and to add an additional fine motor aspect to this center, add Velcro dots to the turkey body and feathers.
- Write the color words on each of the turkey feathers to practice spelling and writing the color words.
- Add colored balls of play dough on top of each color word on the turkey body and then match the turkey feathers (the paper ones or real craft feathers) to the play dough balls.
- Hang the feathers around the room. Walk around with the recording sheet, find a feather, and color in the correct turkey on the recording sheet.
Get Your Free Copy
Ready to practice identifying color words? Grab this fun turkey color words center by clicking the large, yellow button below.
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources? Join us in the Print and Play Club!
Your planning will be so much easier with instant access to:
- hundreds of printables
- every TKC resource
- video lessons
- a digital games vault
- Pre-K and TK Scope & Sequence
- a PLAYlist of fun songs AND activities
- professional development
- additional teacher resources…
Be sure to request an invitation so that you don’t miss your chance to be part of the best early childhood club around!