This never-ending CVC words game is really fun to play individually or as a group! Play with magnetic letters or any other letter manipulatives, and use a timer to make this game even more challenging!
Never Ending CVC Word Game
First, gather your few easy materials.
- Letters (magnetic or other type, we used our magnetic box)
- Cookie sheet if you use magnetic letters
- Word starters like these on the sticks
- Advanced version: timer (This Learning Resources Timer is fun)
Decide if you are playing with a timer or not. If you do, set the timer for one minute. Choose a starter word, such as “in,” and find the letters for that word.
See how many times you can change the word, one letter at a time, to make real words. Nonsense words do not count! (Though if you are playing for rhyming, you may want to play a version with nonsense words).
Your turn is up when the timer goes off or when you get stuck on changing a word.
To extend (without using the timer): all the players could write down their words, spelling counts for a double point!
- Letter and sound recognition
- Phoneme manipulation
- Blending of sounds
- Segmenting of sounds
- Reading words as a whole
- Revising word families
This is a great way to grow CVC word knowledge, while playing a game. It can also help the teacher assess individual students before moving on to CVCC or CCVC words.
More CVC Word Work
Latest posts by Nadia (see all)
- Hands-On Alphabet Activity for Small Groups - October 17, 2017
- Apple Sums with Felt and Pompoms: Hands on Addition - August 20, 2017
- Name Towers Sight Word Recognition - August 3, 2017