Learning shapes and patterns are important skills, and we use a lot of different tools and resources to help us practice them! One of our favorite manipulatives to use in the classroom are pattern blocks. They are so versatile and can be used in so many ways. We are enjoying using them not only to learn the names of shapes, but to build patterns as well with this super fun pattern block “train” building activity!
Pattern Block Trains
This year I have a few kids really obsessed with trains. They love them, and the train set in our classroom is one of the most popular resources during our play time. This of course gave me some inspiration when planning our math activities, and I come up with a way for kids to make “trains” of their own. Except the cargo that these trains are carrying come in the form of shapes!
This activity is super easy to set up. I just printed the recording sheet (below) and added pattern blocks, pencils, and crayons to the math center. We built a different pattern for each train.
Our first train was an ABC pattern – hexagon, triangle, square. After we built it, we traced around the blocks with a pencil and then colored in the shapes.
The tracing won’t turn out perfect, but that’s ok! The point is that students are working on naming shapes, building patterns, and getting in some fine motor work and concentration through tracing and coloring.
After the first train was complete, we set to work on loading up our second train! This sheet is just the right size to not overwhelm kids or be “too long.” Although, the great thing about it is, you can always build a train, and then come back the next day to work on the others if needed.
Download the Printable
Ready to build and trace pattern block “trains” of your own? Grab your free copy of the train themed recording sheet HERE. Then, scroll down for more fun ideas to try with pattern blocks!
More Pattern Block Fun!
Looking for more fun, hands-on ways to use pattern blocks? Check out these awesome ideas and printables from some of my favorite kid bloggers!
- Pattern Block Task Cards Free Printable from Life Over C’s
- Pattern Matching Race from Learning 2 Walk
- Pattern Block Pattern Trains from The Kindergarten Connection
- Reading Games with Pattern Blocks from Books and Giggles
- Tangrams and Visual Perception in Handwriting from Sugar Aunt
- Color & Shape Sorting With Pattern Blocks from Powerful Mothering
- Pattern Block BINGO with Printable Mats from School Time Snippets
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Back to School Sight Word Games and Centers - August 13, 2018
- Back to School Emergent Readers - August 10, 2018
- Print and Play Back to School Activities and Centers - July 18, 2018