This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
The leaves will soon be falling and the air will soon turn cooler. Autumn is just around the corner and I am a bit too excited. Fall is my FAVORITE time of year and I wish it could be fall all year long! In honor of the falling leaves and my daughter’s sudden need to practice her letters and isolate those beginning sounds ALL. DAY. LONG. (teacher heart happy), I am sharing a fun and free Fall Leaves Beginning Sounds Activity with you all today!
*Pair this with our Fall Centers and Activities for Pre-K and Kindergarten!
Fall Leaves Beginning Sounds Activity
This activity is an engaging, hands-on way to practice identifying beginning sounds and is perfect for preschool and kindergarten!
Simply print out and laminate both the autumn tree mats and the leaf picture cards. Grab some fun, fall-themed manipulatives and you’re ready to play!
Teacher Tip: I have included an uppercase and a lowercase letter version of this activity for differentiation. Choose the mat that works best for your child or students.
How to Play
Begin by choosing the uppercase or lowercase letter mat that you would like to use and place all of the leaf picture cards into a small basket or box.
Pick a leaf card from the box and identify the picture and the beginning sound.
Find the letter that matches the beginning sound and use an acorn, leaf, or other fall manipulative to cover the letter.
Continue picking letters from the box and identifying the beginning sounds until you have covered all of the letters on the mat.
- Scatter the leaf picture cards around the room and use a rake to rake them into a pile, identifying each beginning sound as you rake it into the pile.
- Match letter manipulatives to the leaf cards.
- Call out an item in the room for the child to identify the beginning sound for and cover it on the letter mat.
- Print out the tree mats and use dot markers to cover the letters.
- Cover each of the letters on the mat with a ball of play dough. Press each ball of play dough down flat. Pick a leaf card, identify the beginning sound, and use letter stamps to stamp the letter into the play dough on the tree.
Grab Your FREE Copy
Ready to practice beginning sounds and letter identification? Grab your free copy of the Fall Leaves Beginning Sounds Activity by clicking the large, yellow download button below!