This post has been on my heart for sometime. As a teacher who has taught multiple grades, I really do feel that kindergarten is really its’ own world. Kindergarten is often inside elementary schools and expected to be just that – elementary. However, Kindergarten students are NOT elementary students yet.
This is still early childhood, and at the beginning of the year, preschool. I imagine often what my students wish for, want, and need from me as their teacher. In my time with them, if I were to guess, these are the 10 things they would want me or you (the teacher) to know:
1. I am only 5. I might turn 6, but I am still young. Let me be little.
2. I cannot sit down criss-cross or in a chair for very long. Please let me move.
3. I am learning the best I can. I might not be ready to read or write so much yet, but I am trying. Pushing me to go further and further will not help if I am not ready.
4. I need to play. For more than just recess. Please let me play.
5. I miss my parents sometimes. Please comfort me when I do.
6. I don’t always understand why I have to share or follow directions. Please be patient with me while I am learning. I may have not been to any school before now.
7. I am probably giving you the best that I have, even if it may not seem like it.
8. You may be my first school teacher. You are special to me and I look up to you. Please set a good example and care for me in return.
9. I like to sing, run, jump, play, and move. Please let me learn this way sometimes.
10. I am curious about so many things. Let me ask questions, even if I ask them a lot. I am just curious. After all, I am only 5.
I would love to hear if you have anything to add to this list. Kindergarten is such a special place, and taking the time to learn from them is sometimes just as important as them learning from us.
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Fall Subitizing Math Center - August 17, 2017
- The Kissing Hand Crafts That Are Perfect for Back to School - August 12, 2017
- Awesome Apple Centers and Activities for Fall - August 10, 2017