Love is in the air, and so is this free Valentine’s Day Rhyming Activity! One thing I love is a fun, versatile activity and that’s exactly what I have for you today! Rhyming is an important skill but can take lots of practice to learn. This rhyming game is great for playing at home or in the classroom!
*Pair this with our February Print – That’s It! Kindergarten Math and Literacy Printables!
Valentine’s Day Rhyming Activity
This rhyming activity is useful for a wide range of kiddos. I’m excited to start practicing rhyming sounds with my 3 year old daughter during our homeschool preschool time. But rhyming was also a skill I practiced with my kiddos in my first grade classroom!
Rhyming is a great skill to master in preparation for phonics instruction. Hearing rhyming sounds helps prepare little ones for listening to word families and phonics patterns, and is commonly used in predictive storytelling. (And in our house, we consider rhyming games TONS of fun!)
How to Prep
This activity is easy as can be to prepare! If you’re planning to save this activity for years to come, print your rhyming cards on cardstock and laminate them for durability before you cut them. In a hurry? No worries! This can also be a perfect print-and-go activity!
How to Play
I love simple activities like this matching set because they are so versatile!
Here are just a few of our favorite ways to play:
- Play a game of “Go Fish!” by giving each of your kiddos 5 cards and having them request rhyming words from their peers.
- Tape the cards around the room and allow your students to go on a scavenger hunt for rhyming pairs!
- Face all of the cards down in your work area and give students turns to choose 2 cards, hoping to rhyme matches.
- For younger or struggling students, leave all of the cards face up and allow plenty of time to search for rhyming pairs.
With so many ways to use these Cupid cuties, this rhyming activity is sure to keep your kiddos engaged and learning for all of February!
Grab Your FREE Copy
Ready to start rhyming and matching? Grab your free copy of this Valentine’s Day Rhyming Activity by clicking the large, yellow download button below!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources?
Then be sure you request your invite so that you can be the first to hear when the doors open again for our Print and Play Club!
With instant access to hundreds of printables by topic and skill (no more scouring the internet!), every TKC resource, video lessons, a digital games vault, “Super” Sunday Surprises, and much more – your planning time just got easier.
Request your invitation below for more info!
- Beginning Sounds Back to School Sensory Bin Activity - August 1, 2022
- Seashell Beginning Sounds Sensory Bin and Printables - July 15, 2022
- Berry Short Vowel Sensory Bin Activity - July 4, 2022