The holidays are behind us and before we know it Valentine’s Day will be upon us. We are getting a head start on Valentine’s Day with this Tissue Paper Valentine Heart Craft. Seasonal fun mixed with fine motor practice makes this a great activity to add to your February plans!
The two main supplies in this craft are paper plates and tissue paper; items we use for crafts frequently. They are both cheap and easy to find. They come in a large quantity, making them great for a group or class project (or lots of craft projects at home).
- Tissue paper- I used red, but pink is also good for Valentine’s Day.
- Paper plate
- Glue Stick
- Printable heart template: Valentine Heart
You need something thicker than just regular paper for this project. When I can, I often use a paper plate in place of card stock. I can buy a package of paper plates at the dollar tree for $1. You can also pick up tissue paper there, making this a very inexpensive craft project.
The directions for this heart craft are simple and easy, making it ideal for young kids.
- Print the heart and use it as a template to cut a heart from the paper plate or card stock if that is what you choose.
- Cut or tear the tissue paper into small pieces.
- Working in small sections, apply the glue to the heart paper plate.
- Crumple the tissue paper and apply to the heart. Continue with this step until the plate is covered.
Short on time or need to simplify this craft? Make a smaller heart and/or use bigger pieces of tissue paper.
This is a lovely, fun Valentine craft that also works on some areas of development.
Fine motor skills get a great workout with this project when they have to separate the pieces of tissue paper, when they tear or cut the tissue paper into smaller pieces, and when they crumple it. The paper also offers a sensory experience for kids as they hear and feel the crumpling of the tissue paper.
More Valentine’s Day Fun
For even more activities and inspiration for Valentine’s Day, grab our free Valentine alphabet match, work on addition with our candy heart addition cards, or get ideas for fun (and healthy!) Valentine snacks for kids!
For math and literacy for the entire month, grab our February Printables Bundle!