This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
My 4.5 year old has continued her journey in learning how to read and one of the skills we have been working on is learning sight words. Today I am sharing a fun, hands-on activity to continue our sight word learning. This free Thanksgiving Sight Word Center is perfect for November learning for preschool and kindergarten.
*Pair with our bundle of Editable Sight Word Games and Centers!
Thanksgiving Feast Sight Word Center
This activity is a fun, engaging way to practice identifying and spelling the first 100 sight words. Use this with preschoolers who are learning to read, as well as kindergarteners and 1st graders who are continuing to master the first one hundred sight words.
Simply print and laminate the Thanksgiving feast mat, sight word cards, and food letter cards.
RELATED RESOURCE: Editable Sight Word Centers and Activities
Ways to Play
Place the sight word cards you would like to use into a pile.
Lay out all of the Thanksgiving food cards around the sight word mat.
Pick a sight word card and place it on the designated space on the Thanksgiving feast mat. Identify the sight word and spell it out loud.
Find the Thanksgiving food letter cards to spell it out again and place them on the table on the mat.
After each word is spelled out, write the word on the recording sheet.
To save on copies and to reuse the recording sheet, simply print off a copy and slide it into a dry erase pocket or page protector and use dry erase markers or vis-a-vis pens to write the sight words on the sheet.
- Hang the sight word cards around the room and use the recording sheet to walk around the room to find and write each of the sight words.
- Use letter magnets or other letter manipulatives to spell out the sight words.
- Build the sight words with playdough or wikki sticks.
- Use dot markers to trace and/or “build” the sight word.
- Print out two copies of the sight word cards on cardstock, flip them over, and match them up.
- Pick a sight word card and use it in a sentence.
Grab Your FREE Copy
Ready to practice spelling sight words? Grab this fun Thanksgiving sight word center by clicking the large, yellow download button below!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources? Join us in the Print and Play Club!
Your planning will be so much easier with instant access to:
- hundreds of printables
- every TKC resource
- video lessons
- a digital games vault
- Pre-K and TK Scope & Sequence
- a PLAYlist of fun songs AND activities
- professional development
- additional teacher resources…
Be sure to request an invitation so that you don’t miss your chance to be part of the best early childhood club around!