This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
Pretend play is one of my daughter’s favorite activities! Putting on princess crowns, a sheriff’s badge, and of course a flowing superhero cape. There is something about putting on that cape that can make anyone feel powerful. If being a superhero is that exciting as a pretend play activity, I just knew it was the perfect theme for a hands-on, literacy activity! My daughter loves these Superhero Alphabet Play Dough Mats and they are so fun for any time of the year!
*Pair with our Alphabet Centers & Activities for Pre-K/Kindergarten!
Superhero Alphabet Play Dough Mats
I love these play dough mats not only for their educational benefits but the fun that is tied to them too. Our love for the idea of superheroes runs strong in our house. Thankfully my daughter knows the difference between superheroes jumping off buildings, taking off in flight and her jumping off the couch!
Each page of this alphabet play dough mat set shows superheroes, capes, and multi-colored striped stars. The colors are so bright and fun! Any color of play dough will work well with this set.
This activity includes a full page for each letter of the alphabet. Also, both upper and lowercase letters are included for each.
How to Prep
If you haven’t used printable play dough mats before you and your students are in for a treat. They will enjoy using them and you will be ecstatic over the fact that they are so easy to prep!
Grab the play dough and simply print out and laminate each letter mat page. I have laminated them each as a single page but you could also print and laminate them back to back. This is a great paper saver!
Which way you choose depends on how many kids will be using the play dough mats and how often each letter will get used at one time. I like to laminate them because it makes it possible to wipe off the play dough without ruining the pages. Once they are laminated they will last you forever!
Ways to Use the Superhero Play Dough Mats
My favorite part of this activity is how versatile it can be. Students can use their play dough to fill the letters in many different ways:
- Create balls of play dough to make a dotted line inside the bubble letter.
- Form snakes with the play dough to ‘write’ the letter.
- Fill the letter in completely and use play dough tools to cut to the correct letter shape and size.
Once laminated, these play dough mats can also be used with dry-erase markers to write the letter on the page.
Play dough alone is a super fun activity that most kids enjoy – even more with superheroes involved! This set is a perfect activity for a simple literacy center in any classroom.
This activity is full of fun but also full of benefits:
- Play dough is a fantastic way to strengthen fine motor skills, which helps with prewriting skills
- Play dough can be calming and stress relieving
- Encourages development of hand-eye coordination
- Excellent sensory play activity
- Increases creativity and imagination
- Will help with letter recognition and letter formation
- Is a fun way to introduce beginning sounds
These Superhero Play Dough Mats are a fantastic way to help encourage children to learn and practice the alphabet in an exciting, hands-on way!
Grab Your FREE Set
Get out the play dough and grab your free copy of the Superhero Play Dough Mats by clicking the large, yellow download button at the end of the post!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources?
Then be sure you request your invite so that you can be the first to hear when the doors open again for our Print and Play Club!
With instant access to hundreds of printables by topic and skill (no more scouring the internet!), every TKC resource, video lessons, a digital games vault, “Super” Sunday Surprises, and much more – your planning time just got easier.
Request your invitation below for more info!
- Simple Strategy for Improving Classroom Management - November 28, 2023
- Easy Fine Motor Activities for Pre-K & Kindergarten - November 21, 2023
- 5 Classroom Routines and Procedures to “Reset” When Things Feel Chaotic - October 26, 2023