While winter is not my favorite season, there are few things I remember loving about winter from my childhood: drinking hot chocolate, sledding, building snowmen, and making snowflakes. We always challenged each other to see who could come up with the best cutout for their paper snowflake craft.
Those cutout snowflakes are a little too challenging for our preschooler, so we came up with a simpler paper snowflake craft.
Super Easy Paper Snowflake Craft
Like the cutout paper snowflakes we made growing up, this snowflake craft takes very few supplies and costs almost nothing to make.
These snowflakes are a great inexpensive way to add a little decor to your home or classroom. They would be cute hanging from the ceiling or attached to a window.
This directions for this snowflake craft are very easy and simple, making it a great project for preschoolers and kindergartners to work on with minimal assistance.
1. To prep for this project ahead of time, cut strips of blue paper. We used 4 strips of blue paper for each snowflake craft.
2. Encourage your child/student to glue the strips of paper together. Every snowflake is different, but this is how we carried out this step: we put two strips of paper together to form a t and glued where they came together.
3. We then added the other two strips on diagonals to form an x.
4. Once the you have formed the shape of your snowflake, tear the white construction paper into smaller pieces and glue to the snowflake.
5. Hang up and enjoy!
Extend the Activity
- Have some fun, take a brain break, or transition to the next activity by singing one of these winter songs.
- Become a scientist and observe what happens when snow melts.
- Encourage early reading, sight words, and colors with these winter emergent readers.
- Make math and literacy fun with this winter themed set of printables.
- Curl up and enjoy stories about snowflakes and snow like Snowflakes Fall, The Story of Snow, and Snowflake Bentley.
More Winter Fun
Looking for more fun winter activities? Hop over and grab our Winter Math and Literacy Centers for print and play games all winter long!