This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
Happy Spring! I don’t know about you, but this time of year always puts me in a great mood. And this free St. Patrick’s Day Rhyming Activity is sure to help you feel extra lucky this month while working on important literacy skills!
St. Patrick’s Day Rhyming Activity
Rhyming is such an important building block leading to reading instruction. We’ve already started listening for rhyming sounds with my 3 year old daughter, and it was an important part of our phonics routine when I taught first grade in the classroom. So this is a skill that’s important for everyone and truly can’t be practiced too much!
This activity can be modified to accommodate your littlest learners, played in literacy centers, or even used as part of your small group instruction!
How To Prep
Printable centers are the easiest things to jazz up! Throw in some props or add the pieces to a sensory bin to practice fine motor skills along with phonics!
For this center, simply print the pieces and laminate them for durability. Cut the rhyming cards and add them to a sensory bin, or give your kiddos the pile of cards! Grab your recording sheet and you’re ready to get to work!
RELATED RESOURCE: Nursery Rhyme Emergent Readers
How To Play
These cards lend themselves to so many ways to play! A few examples include:
- “Go Fish!” – Give your kiddos each 5 cards and have them take turns requesting rhyming words to match their cards.
- “Read the Room” – Place the cards around the room for your students to go find! Give students time to hunt for pairs of cards.
- Memory – Put all of the cards face down on the floor or table and give students turns to choose 2 cards, looking to make pairs.
- Simple Matching – For students who need a more simple task, leave all cards face up on the floor or table and allow students time to search for rhyming pairs.
- Sensory Bin – Fill a bin with beans and St. Patrick’s Day-themed goodies, then add in the rhyming cards! Students take turns searching the bin for rhyming words!
The possibilities for a simple activity like this one are endless! This set is sure to have your kiddos feeling lucky this March!
Grab Your FREE Copy
Are you ready to start practicing rhyme with your students? Get your free copy of the St. Patrick’s Day Rhyming Activity by clicking the large, yellow download button below!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources?
Then be sure you request your invite so that you can be the first to hear when the doors open again for our Print and Play Club!
With instant access to hundreds of printables by topic and skill, every TKC resource, video lessons, a digital games vault, Pre-K and TK Scope & Sequence, additional teacher resources, and much more – your planning time just got easier.
Request your invitation below for more info!
- Easter Sensory Bin Literacy Activity - March 20, 2023
- Beginning Sounds Back to School Sensory Bin Activity - August 1, 2022
- Seashell Beginning Sounds Sensory Bin and Printables - July 15, 2022