Happy Spring! I don’t know about you, but this time of year always puts me in a great mood. And this St. Patrick’s Day Rhyming Activity is sure to help you feel extra lucky this month!
*Pair with our St. Patrick’s Day Centers & Activities
St. Patrick’s Day Rhyming ActivityW
Rhyming is such an important building block leading to reading instruction. We’ve already started listening for rhyming sounds with my 3 year old daughter, and it was an important part of our phonics routine when I taught first grade in the classroom. So this is a skill that’s important for everyone and truly can’t be practiced too much!
This activity can be modified to accommodate your littlest learners, played in literacy centers, or even used as part of your small group instruction!
How To Prep
Printable centers are the easiest things to jazz up! Throw in some props or add the pieces to a sensory bin to practice fine motor skills along with phonics!
For this center, simply print the pieces and laminate them for durability. Cut the rhyming cards and add them to a sensory bin, or give your kiddos the pile of cards! Grab your recording sheet and you’re ready to get to work!
RELATED RESOURCE: Nursery Rhyme Emergent Readers
How To Play
These cards lend themselves to so many ways to play! A few examples include:
- “Go Fish!” – Give your kiddos each 5 cards and have them take turns requesting rhyming words to match their cards.
- “Read the Room” – Place the cards around the room for your students to go find! Give students time to hunt for pairs of cards.
- Memory – Put all of the cards face down on the floor or table and give students turns to choose 2 cards, looking to make pairs.
- Simple Matching – For students who need a more simple task, leave all cards face up on the floor or table and allow students time to search for rhyming pairs.
- Sensory Bin – Fill a bin with beans and St. Patrick’s Day themed goodies, then add in the rhyming cards! Students take turns searching the bin for rhyming words!
The possibilities for a simple activity like this one are endless! This set is sure to have your kiddos feeling lucky this March!
Grab Free Printable
Are you ready to start practicing rhyme with your students? Then click the large, yellow button below for your free download!
Then, hop on over to see our St. Patrick’s Day CVC Words and Beginning Sounds Sensory Bins and Printables!