This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
I’m super excited for spring and all the fun it brings – playing at the park, jumping in puddles, going on picnics, bike riding, planting flowers, and so much more. When I think of spring, I often think of the favorite springtime proverb: April Showers Bring May Flowers. Since we will soon be approaching April, we decided to work on some springtime activities like this fun Rain Cloud Craft!
*Pair with our Spring Centers and Activities for Pre-K & Kindergarten!
Rain Cloud Craft for Kids
This is a super inexpensive craft that uses items you likely have on hand. This makes it awesome for an easy classroom project or spring bulletin board display!
- Raindrop template (download below)
- Paper plate
- Cotton balls
- White cardstock
- Yarn or string (we used a light blue yarn)
Making the Rain Cloud Craft
1. Cut a paper plate in half. This project uses just 1/2 of the paper plate per child.
2. Working in small sections, apply glue to the paper plate and add cotton balls, covering the plate.
RELATED RESOURCE: Write It! Weather Writing Center Activities
3. Print the raindrops template onto white cardstock.
4. Using watercolors, paint the raindrops and allow them to dry.
5. Once dry, cut the raindrops out and hang them from the cloud (plate). We used tape to attach one end of a piece of yarn to the back of each raindrop and the other end of the yarn to the back of the paper plate so that the raindrops are hanging from the cloud. We used slightly different lengths of yarn for each raindrop.
Teacher Note: I’m often quick to grab glue sticks for our projects because they are easier to use and create less potential for a mess. However, I have been making an effort to use the liquid bottle of glue more often, because squeezing the glue bottle strengthens the muscles in little hands!
Grab Your FREE Template
Ready to start crafting rain clouds? Grab your free printable raindrops template by clicking on the large, yellow download button at the end of the post!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources?
Then be sure you request your invite so that you can be the first to hear when the doors open again for our Print and Play Club!
With instant access to hundreds of printables by topic and skill (no more scouring the internet!), every TKC resource, video lessons, a digital games vault, “Super” Sunday Surprises, and much more – your planning time just got easier.