School has started and it will soon be apple season which means it’s time for juicy apples, cider, and yummy food like homemade apple pie. Apple season also brings lots of opportunities for apple-themed activities and crafts like this Paper Plate Apple Craft. Whether you prefer red or green apples, this is sure to be a fun activity that your kids will be proud to display in the classroom or at home!
*Pair with our Apple Centers and Activities for Pre-K & Kindergarten!
Paper Plate Apple Craft
My students love tearing paper which makes this activity extra exciting and engaging for them. As an added bonus, tearing paper helps them to develop their fine motor skills which leads to a good pencil grasp and better handwriting. And since the kids tear the paper, this craft needs almost no prep. Let’s gather our supplies!
- Paper plates (we used the smaller dessert sized plates, but regular size would also work)
- Red, green, & brown construction paper
- Glue sticks
How to Make the Apple Craft
The directions for this apple craft are very easy to follow, making it an ideal craft for young kids to do independently!
1. To begin, have kids tear red (or green) paper into smaller pieces.
2. Next, they can glue the pieces of torn paper onto the paper plate. We overlapped them to be sure to cover as much of our plate as possible.
3. Lastly, the students can cut a stem from the brown paper and leaf from the green paper and glue to the back of the paper plate.
RELATED RESOURCE: Back to School Math and Literacy Printables
These small paper plate apples would look cute on a bulletin board with a big tree in the middle and your students’ apples surrounding it!
Extend the Activity
- Enjoy an apple snack or make homemade applesauce.
- Read books about apples such as How Do Apples Grow, Ten Apples Up on Top, and Apples, Apples, Apples.
- Cut open an apple and explore the parts of an apple.
- Make apple prints with paint.
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources?
Then be sure you request your invite so that you can be the first to hear when the doors open again for our Print and Play Club!
With instant access to hundreds of printables by topic and skill (no more scouring the internet!), every TKC resource, video lessons, a digital games vault, “Super” Sunday Surprises, and much more – your planning time just got easier.