This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
When kids have Halloween on their minds, you might as well take advantage. This free printable nouns and verbs candy sorting game is a fun way for them to practice some basic literacy skills while having some Halloween-themed learning fun!
*Pair with our Halloween Centers and Activities for Pre-K & Kindergarten!
Nouns and Verbs Candy Sorting
Children start learning to distinguish nouns and verbs as early as first grade. Understanding this concept can help them learn how to write in complete sentences.
Kids mimic what they hear and read, yet adults don’t always write or speak in complete sentences. I know I’m guilty – I like to use incomplete sentences in my blog posts.
For emphasis, mostly.
Some children’s books make frequent use of incomplete sentences too (ahem… Magic Tree House). Shorter “sentences” make early readers and beginning chapter books easier to read, and makes dialogue sound more natural.
Nevertheless, kids need to learn the rules before they can break them, so they can do so deliberately rather than accidentally.
Once you’ve taught them about nouns, and then about verbs, they’ll need lots of practice distinguishing them from each other. This Halloween game is a fun way to motivate them.
1. If possible you will want 2 plastic Halloween pumpkins for students to sort the cards into. Alternatively, they can just make 2 piles on the table. Label one pumpkin (or pile) “nouns” and the other “verbs”
4. There are 2 different recording sheets to allow for a differentiated activity. Make copies of one or both, depending on your students’ needs.
Sorting Nouns and Verbs:
1. Students read each card and decide whether it’s a noun or verb.
2. Then they place it into the appropriate pumpkin.
3. Once they’re finished sorting, they color or write their answers on a recording sheet.
Once they’ve gotten nouns and verbs down, you can add in other parts of speech. By Halloween, they’ll be grammar wizards!
Grab Your FREE Copy
Ready to play? Get your free copy of the candy nouns and verbs activity by clicking the large, yellow download button at the end of the post!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources?
Then be sure you request your invite so that you can be the first to hear when the doors open again for our Print and Play Club!
With instant access to hundreds of printables by topic and skill, every TKC resource, video lessons, a digital games vault, Pre-K and TK Scope & Sequence, additional teacher resources, and much more – your planning time just got easier.