These no-sew DIY bean bags are easy for kids to make, and offer so many possibilities for active playtime fun! Here is a simple step-by-step tutorial for making bean bags along with a list of activity ideas to explore. Wouldn’t these no-sew bean bags be a great addition for a school field day event, or an end of school year carnival?
No-Sew DIY Bean Bags Kids Can Make
To get started, first gather your materials.
- balloons (2 per bean bag)
- rice or small dried beans (such as lentils)
- spoon or scoop
To start, fill up the balloon with rice. (Parents will probably need to help younger kids with this!)
Attach the balloon to the end of a funnel, and invite the students to add a few scoops of rice into the balloon. It should be filled to be about the size of a lemon.
Then, tie off the balloon.
Carefully remove the balloon from the funnel. Younger kids may need help tying the end of the balloon.
Cut a second balloon in half, as shown. Use it to cover the tied off end of the first balloon. Now you are ready to play!
Some Ideas to Explore:
- Use sidewalk chalk to draw a bull’s eye target. Students can practice their addition by keeping score!
- Set up some paper cups into a pyramid (carnival style) for students to take turns to see how many they can knock down.
- Practice juggling!
- Group students into pairs. Have a throwing contest outside. How many times they can pass the bean bag back and forth without letting it touch the ground?