We love to play with play dough – it is the perfect companion to so many learning activities! Following our super fun flower play dough kit, next up in our 12 Months of Play Dough Kits series is this perfect-for-spring Frog Life Cycle Play Dough Kit.
This is a wonderful classroom activity, as it combines sensory play and science – allowing kids to engage in hands-on learning about the different aspects of the frog life cycle.
Kids can study the anatomy and progression of the frog, while creating environments for the frogs – or recreating those life stages. This kit is incredibly versatile, allowing kids to approach the learning aspects at their own pace – and most won’t even realize that they’re learning! Play-based learning at its finest.
Materials in our Frog Life Cycle Play Dough Kit
- One batch green play dough
- One batch blue play dough
- Safariology Frog Life Cycle set
- Foam lilies and lilypad cut-outs (homemade)
- Googly eyes
- Green straws
- Small assortment of frog figures
As usual, I sorted this classroom play dough kit into our Ikea container. For $5, we’ve had so much use out of these containers. They are perfect for encouraging the kids to keep the play dough area organized and put things away properly. It holds two full batches of play dough perfectly, along with all of the accessories. It really makes clean up so easy and keeps our play dough activities a bit less messy.
How We Played with Our Frog Life Cycle Play Dough Kit
- made our own frogs with play dough (pipe cleaner legs, googly eyes)
- made our own tadpoles (straw tails, googly eyes)
- created the perfect pond – with play dough water and lilypads
- patterned with the lilypads
- matched the lily flowers
- recreated the life cycle with the materials – googly eyes for eggs, tadpoles, and frogs
- pressed the frogs into the play dough to make prints
- made Monsters from Monster’s Inc
- used the play dough to tell a story about the frogs
- compared the different frogs and frog stages
After our group was done with this Frog Life Cycle Play Dough Kit, my daughter and I went on to transform it into a Princess and the Frog play dough kit. I think we’ll be doing a few Disney-inspired play dough kits in the months leading up to our next Disney trip.
More Spring Fun!
Looking for more spring themed fun? Hop over and make our plastic egg frog craft or have some fun with our favorite pond life activities for kids! If you are stuck inside on a rainy spring day, you may want to grab our spring coloring pages!
What would you add or substitute in this classroom play dough kit?
- Quick and Easy Letter Crafts for Pre-K & Kindergarten - July 26, 2021
- Back to School Play Dough Kit and Sensory Activity - July 20, 2021
- Easy Sun Craft for Kids - June 29, 2021