Talk to any early childhood teacher, and they will tell you how important fine motor skills are. Poor fine motor skills can make writing, cutting, lacing, and other activities very difficult for children. It is important to develop those muscles – and with this fun activity, that is exactly what will happen! This fine motor and color matching flower activity is easy to make and sure to be a hit with your kids as well.
- Felt (I used white, dark pink, light pink, red, orange and yellow)
- Corresponding colored buttons
- Green pipecleaners
- Flower template (you can free hand, or find one online to print and trace – it doesn’t need to be perfect!)
Preparing the Activity
Use the template to cut the felt flowers. Make a slit in the middle of the flowers by bending it in the middle and cutting a tiny slit, big enough for your button to easily glide in.
Attach the buttons to the pipecleaners as shown below.
How to play:
Now, ask your child to match the color button to the flower and attach it. The star shape and heart shaped buttons proved to be the hardest for my preschooler. My kindergartener did not have a problem with any.
You can simply match them, or, if you have kids who are into some friendly competition, you can turn it into a game and time each other!
This flower activity is great for a preschooler and a kindergartener to build up their fine motor skills. A lovely Spring or Summer themed activity, but actually great for any time of the year!
Bind it together like a bouquet, and it makes a lovely gift too, or perfect for a pretend play flower shop.
More Fine Motor Fun
Looking for more activities to strengthen those fine motor muscles? Here are some of our favorites!
Latest posts by Nadia (see all)
- Heart Threading Fine Motor and Patterning Activity - January 23, 2018
- Mitten and Snowball Color Matching Game - January 14, 2018
- Tens and Ones Winter Place Value Activity - December 13, 2017