This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
This Paper Donut Shop Math Activity is calorie free, and provides lots of learning opportunities! Students can build lots of paper donuts, add up the cost, count out money, and even calculate change. The shop is easy and very inexpensive to set up using common school supplies you probably already have on-hand in your home or classroom! This Math activity could easily be adapted for younger students who are starting to learn to count, or older students who are learning to count money and calculate change.
Donut Shop Math
To set up a Donut Shop Math Activity of your own, you will need:
- a long sheet of butcher’s paper or freezer paper
- construction paper
- paper plates
- play money (this is a fun set from Melissa and Doug)
- paper pad and pencil
Set Up Shop:
Use a marker to draw boxed areas for donuts, icing, and sprinkles. Add a space for students to build the donuts, and a space for a small pad and pencil for adding up the cost.
Cut out several donuts, icing, and sprinkles from construction paper. Laminate the donuts and icing, if desired.
Donut Shop Math:
- Younger Students — Place your orders, then have students practice counting the number of donuts for each order.
- Other Ideas — Invite students to complete orders and add up the totals. Older students can practice counting money and calculating change.
Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony is a great book to go along with this donut shop activity.
Mr. Panda is giving away donuts and takes turns asking many of his animal friends if they would like one. This book is a great reminder to say “please” and “thank you”!
More Math Fun
Looking for even more hands on, playful math activities? Here are some of our favorites!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources? Join us in the Print and Play Club!
Your planning will be so much easier with instant access to:
- hundreds of printables
- every TKC resource
- video lessons
- a digital games vault
- Pre-K and TK Scope & Sequence
- a PLAYlist of fun songs AND activities
- professional development
- additional teacher resources…
Be sure to request an invitation so that you don’t miss your chance to be part of the best early childhood club around!