This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. View our full disclosure policy here.
Spring is right around the corner and we can see signs of it everywhere which means we are ready for some spring learning activities! Even though it snowed yesterday, there are a few blades of spring grass and some of the trees are starting to sprout leaves. This free Butterfly Alphabet Match and Trace Activity is sure to brighten those last days of winter while inspiring some learning fun!
*Pair with our Alphabet Centers and Activities for Pre-K & Kindergarten!
Butterfly Alphabet Match and Trace Activity
This activity was originally inspired by some adorable wooden butterflies that I found in one of the Dollar Spot aisles of Target. As soon as I realized I could get the little butterflies for just a couple of dollars I was sold. I took them home, grabbed a permanent marker, and wrote one letter on each butterfly.
Don’t have wooden butterflies? No problem! I created free printable butterfly letter cards. These can be printed and cut apart to use for the same alphabet match and trace activity. They could also be laminated to increase durability and longevity of use!
How to Play
To play, children begin by picking a butterfly and naming the letter. Next, they find and trace the corresponding letter on the printable butterfly ABC mat.
If you plan to use this mat multiple times, laminating it and using dry erase markers would work great!
We first did this activity with uppercase to uppercase matching and tracing. There is also a lowercase letter mat for when your kids are ready for the extra challenge.
This activity can be adapted for children who are just beginning to explore the alphabet to children who are ready to practice writing letters. Here are some more of my favorite ways to play:
- Use the uppercase butterfly letter cards with the printable lowercase ABC mat, or vice versa.
- While matching and tracing, you could add in an extra challenge by asking your child to say the letter sound. Even more of a challenge would be to have your child say a word (or a few words) that start with that letter.
- For children not ready for tracing yet, these mats can still be used with any fun butterfly manipulative by placing them over the letters on the printable mat.
- If only using the printable butterflies, instead of tracing, have your child point to or circle the matching letter.
My daughter enjoyed this activity so much we played it again later in the same day. It definitely had us feeling excited and ready for spring!
Grab Your FREE Copy
Ready for some spring alphabet fun? Grab your free copy of the Butterfly Alphabet Match and Trace Activity by clicking the large, yellow download button below!
Want unlimited access to even MORE of our activities and resources? Join us in the Print and Play Club!
Your planning will be so much easier with instant access to:
- hundreds of printables
- every TKC resource
- video lessons
- a digital games vault
- Pre-K and TK Scope & Sequence
- a PLAYlist of fun songs AND activities
- professional development
- additional teacher resources…
Be sure to request an invitation so that you don’t miss your chance to be part of the best early childhood club around!
- 5 Classroom Routines to Review After Winter Break - December 1, 2023
- Simple Strategy for Improving Classroom Management - November 28, 2023
- Easy Fine Motor Activities for Pre-K & Kindergarten - November 21, 2023